This past weekend my husband and I flew out to Waupun, Wisconsin (my dad’s hometown) for my cousin’s wedding and it was GORGEOUS! We stayed with my grandpa in the house he has lived in since my dad was young and actually built himself, along with several others on the street. There is something so special about that house and all the love and memories shared there through out the years. It gives you that real sense of “home”. My grandmother passed away in 2003, but one of her favorite things to do was bake. As I was telling my grandpa about our new adventures in blogging & baking, he brought out her old cookbooks (her true pride and joy) for me to take a look at. I spent almost an hour drooling over and jotting down recipes until I stumbled upon an entire section devoted to lemon-inspired goodies… I was in HEAVEN! I immediately text my mother-in-law to tell her we HAD to make our final lemon dish one of my grandma’s favorites, Lemon Chiffon Dessert! (And how perfect was it that the name was one we had used for our delicious rum drink!?)
So, our final lemon inspired post this month is my Grandma’s Lemon Chiffon Dessert hope you enjoy!
- 1 C. Flour
- 1/2 C. Oleo (Similar to Crisco)
- 1/4 C. Brown Sugar
- 1/2 C. Chopped Pecans (We mixed it up and used almonds instead)
- 1 Pkg. Lemon Chiffon Pie filling (Stove-top brand works best)
- Whipped Cream
- Mix four, oleo, brown sugar and pecans.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes on cookie sheet.
- Cool, stir. Save small amount for top.
- Press remaining mixture in bottom of 8 x 8 x 2 inch glass pan.
- Make pie filling according to package. Put on top of pecan mixture.
- Cool 2 hours (at least).
- Optional: Spread with whipped cream. Sprinkle remaining pecan mixture on top.